On first got started in 2010 with an idea to improve running footwear technology as we know it. Designed and developed in Switzerland, the three founders wanted to create a line of shoes that was unlike anything on the market today. On's technology is different in that unlike other running shoes, the outsoles are created with rubber loops that are directly connected to the midsole. These rubber loops, known as Clouds, compress as they absorb shock and initial impact upon footstrike, then spring that energy and shock back into the foot upon forefoot propulsion at takeoff. These Clouds absorb shock, provide a soft yet cushioned landing where needed, and also give some inherent stability due to the low profile and platform.
The Cloudflyer is the latest in the brands' line, and is the most supportive and stable version yet. The platform and base that it is built off of is wider, including the shape of the actual Clouds as well, meaning instead of the standard 13, there are now 12 Cloud loops but the difference is that these 12 are wider and are constructed with ultra soft yet resilient Zero-Gravity which also adds more stability, while improving the overall comfort of the shoe.
On Cloudflyer- World Premier
– The Cloudflyer by On is the brands first release of slightly more stable, everyday trainer. The Cloudflyer comes standard with 12 “cloud” rubber pods that are constructed at a slightly higher durometer (a measure of firmness), yet have a bouncy, resilient feel.
– Unlike other On models, the Cloudflyer is built on a wider plaform, meaning the CloudTec pods are build wider and slightly longer than other On models. This results in improved stability and support, while still utilizing technology that cushions your landing, and springs forward upon takeoff.
– A slight rocker profile further improves the heel to toe transition, and further adds to the overall responsive and bounce of the ride.
– Lastly, a Speedboard directly attached to the outsole adds to the stable yet responsive ride, in conjunction with the wider, stable platform.
On CloudTec Technology- What makes it different from other running shoes
– On was built on one simple principle- cushioned landing, firm takeoff. This is accomplished by using up to 13, pod like, rubber loops on the outsole that compress during initial strike, absorb shock and become rigid, then return that energy back upon takeoff.
– Upon initial ground contact, these rubber looped “clouds” absorb shock and cushion the body from both vertical and horizontal forces that result in a soft, smooth landing.
– As your foot transitions from heel to toe, these same clouds lock together to provide a rigid foundation to create a powerful takeoff.
– Ultimately what happens is you get cushioning and proctection in the areas of the foot that it need it most, however, that cushioning springs back for a firm takeoff during the heel to toe transition.