Position Title: Digital Search Engine Optimization Strategist
Functional Area: Digital
Reports To: Sr. Vice President of Digital
FLSA Status: Exempt
Last Updated: February 2017
The Search Engine Optimization Strategist is responsible and accountable for increasing revenue at Jackrabbit.com from natural search. This person will act as the consistent and unwavering face of SEO everyday across all corners of RSG’s working team. This person will create and launch SEO campaigns, identify areas of SEO improvement, integrate SEO consideration in all planning up front, build and execute against a long-term roadmap to drastically increase RSG’s natural presence – All in the attempt to improve Jackrabbit.com’s site rankings in major search engines and ultimately drive increased natural search revenue dollars towards the overall digital business by performing the following main duties:
- Improve Jackrabbit.com’s organic search results with a focus on delivering against yearly revenue targets
- Review and analyze Jackrabbit.com for areas that need to improve, be deleted, or revised
- Own relationships with SEO vendors and utilize tools to provide necessary strategic recommendations
- Prepare SEO reports and present to the entire digital team monthly
- Develop an integrated, cross-functional SEO strategy to secure buy off from leadership for prioritization against SEO goals
- Work closely across all functions to bring SEO goals and tactics forward as a priority and push for execution against those goals
- Work closely with digital producer and digital merchandisers to understand upcoming key focuses for the business both short term and long term
- Place keywords appropriately in copy to gain most search engine traffic
- Write or influence original, powerful SEO content
- Implement off-page SEO content strategies
- Effectively use header tags
- Keep abreast of white hat and black hat tactics so as not to violate search engine guidelines
- Strategize ways to improve and track site performance
- Improve the navigation of the site to enhance its search engine ranking
- Work with design to educate against basic programming and web design skills to enhance SEO
- Evaluate product offering, traffic, landing page quality, content, design, security, payment options, shipping options, demographics of prospective customers when planning all campaigns
- Perform keyword research in coordination with RSG’s business objectives to optimize existing content and uncover new opportunities
- Implement link building campaigns in coordination with SEO goals
- Keep pace with SEO, search engine, digital marketing, social media and internet marketing industry trends and developments.
- Additional projects as needed.
Required Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.A) from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience required, with Business, Marketing, Communication or IT preferred. Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience required in Interactive Marketing or eCommerce. A solid understanding of SEO is a must. Experience in multi-vendor retailing is a plus.
Required Computer and/or Technical Skills
Excellent computer skills, including basic to intermediate knowledge and abilities with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. High degree of internet savvy, with a curiosity and enthusiasm for digital and media trends.
- Communication Skills: Must be an effective communicator with internal and external individuals at all levels. This includes spoken, written, electronic, and presentation skills. Communication should be consistently constructive and professional. Must be a good team player
- Decision Making and Problem Solving Skills: Experience in organizing information, collaborating, thinking critically and working as part of a team required. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Uses specialized knowledge to go beyond the routine to solve complex problems that frequently affect areas beyond own functional area. Must be able to approach unfamiliar situations, projects, and opportunities with confidence and curiosity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sit for more than 6 hours per shift
- Use hands to finger, handle and feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Talk and/or hear
- Stand for up to 2 hours at a time regularly
- Walk or move from one location to another regularly
- Periodically may need to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Lift and/or move up to 10 pounds regularly and up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Punctuality and regular attendance consistent with the company’s policies are required for the position.
- Average work week is (40-50) hours, which can vary depending on business need.
- The work environment for this position is a moderately noisy office setting.
The company reserves the right to modify this job description with or without notice. Employees may be asked to perform additional duties outside of normal job scope on a temporary basis per the company policy.